If you’ve seen the movie Encanto (what parent hasn’t), you may know a little bit about Colombian culture. The Madrigals are a great example of how close Colombian families tend to be, and how fun and colorful the culture is, too.
Here’s an overview of what you can expect when hosting one of our Colombian au pairs.
- Colombians speak Spanish. Being bilingual is always a good thing and being bilingual in Spanish when you live in the U.S. is even better. What an incredible opportunity for your children to learn a new language directly from a native speaker!
- Colombians have lots of childcare experience. Most Colombians come from big families and grow up taking care of younger siblings, cousins, nieces, and nephews. It’s not uncommon for Colombian au pairs to have experience babysitting or working in a daycare center.
- Colombians are warm and affectionate. When you meet your Colombian au pair, you will likely be greeted with smiles and hugs, but don’t be surprised if this is a daily occurrence. Colombian au pairs won’t shy away from showing their affection and love to your children as this is the cultural norm for them with their family and friends.
- Colombians are adventurous and festive. Colombians like to have fun and celebrate numerous public holidays. Dancing is also a big part of their culture. Au pairs from Colombia are adventurous and known for their willingness to try new things and quickly integrate into your family and daily life.
- Colombians are more likely to extend. Statistics show Colombian au pairs are more likely to extend their program year for an additional six, nine or 12 months than many other nationalities. What an incredible opportunity to maintain consistency and support with an amazing caregiver!
Ready to welcome your next au pair from Colombia? No matter what nationality you select in au pair candidates, it’s important to truly connect with your au pair during the interview process on other levels as well. Be sure to ask thoughtful questions and truly listen to their responses and reactions.
If welcoming a Colombian au pair into your home seems like the right choice for you, start here. Au Pair USA has a great network of Colombian au pairs ready to share their culture and connect with you and your family!