Have you been thinking about taking a trip soon? Springtime in the U.S. (March 20-June 21) is a great time of year to get away. Not only is the weather mild in most places, spring often attracts fewer tourists than summer months, so many destinations are less crowded.
Here are some of our best recommendations of places to plan your next spring vacation:
- San Francisco, CA: San Francisco is one of the most colorful and vibrant cities in California! It has a great mix of urban and natural scenery. Be sure to check out Fisherman’s Wharf, where you can eat some delicious Dungeness crab and sourdough bread while catching a glimpse of the barking sea lions. And of course, you won’t want to miss the iconic Golden Gate Bridge! Pro tip: you can get the dreamiest view from Baker Beach.
- Las Vegas, NV: You’ve likely seen the “Strip” in movies or TV shows, but there’s nothing like experiencing it yourself as a tourist in Las Vegas! Be sure to stop and watch the dancing fountains of the Bellagio hotel. These are sure to impress, and are even more magical at night when they light up. From concerts to magic shows to the whole whimsical vibe Las Vegas has to offer, spring is a great time to check it out!
- Charleston, SC: If you’re looking for warmth, history, shopping and beaches, Charleston, South Carolina is a great destination for a spring break trip. Daytime weather will hover around a comfortable 70 degrees Fahrenheit (21 degrees Celsius). You may want to pack some layers for cooler evening temperatures. There are historic carriage tours, delicious restaurants, multiple beaches, and the majestic 400-year-old Angel Oak Tree. There’s something for everyone to enjoy in Charleston!
- St. Petersburg, FL: What could be better than a beautiful beach, a historic district and plenty of cultural museums for a spring trip? There’s even a free trolley that will take you to many of these hot spots! The best part? The weather in springtime is ideal because it’s warm and sunny, but not overly humid or too hot.
- Rocky Mountains, CO: If you’re a skier or snowboarder, you can still experience all the snow the Rocky Mountains have to offer in the spring season. Temperatures will typically be around 38-43 degrees Fahrenheit (3-6 degrees Celsius), so be sure to dress appropriately and don’t forget your sunscreen and sunglasses (or ski goggles) as most days will be full of sunshine this time of year.
- Outer Banks, NC: If you’re looking for an island vibe, but maybe a bit closer than Hawaii or the U.S. Virgin Islands (depending on where you live), the Outer Banks of North Carolina may be the place for you! This archipelago of islands off the coast of North Carolina is full of sandy beaches and outdoor activities. In fact, the Outer Banks are where the Wright Brothers built and flew the airplane for the first time in 1903. Be sure to drive along the Outer Banks Scenic Byway and glimpse the beautiful views while you’re there.
- Texas Hill Country, TX: Located in Central Texas, Texas Hill Country is a beautiful landscape of rolling hills, gently flowing rivers, and lots of swimming holes. If you like to hike, mountain bike, camp, visit waterfalls, or go horseback riding, this might be the destination for you! Why visit in springtime? Spring is the famous bluebonnet season in Texas, which means you’ll find beautiful, Instagram worthy backgrounds to take the most magnificent selfies and photos with friends.
So, which destination will you choose to visit this spring? There are plenty more incredible options all around the U.S. too if none of these suits your interest. Take some time to plan a trip with your au pair besties and experience all our beautiful states have to offer you during your au pair program year!