The new year has arrived and as a parent you’re likely getting back in the swing of things now that we’ve settled into January. The new year is a great time to revisit hosting and relationship goals with your au pair.
Here are some ways you can make 2023 your best year yet with your au pair:
- Communicate more! Make it a priority to talk to your au pair not just about the logistics of the daily or weekly schedule, but about other things too. Just like any relationship, communication is a wonderful way to nurture things and help your bond grow. We recommend setting up a weekly meeting so there’s a specific time and space held to check in when life gets busy.
- Appreciate them! Ever hear the expression, “What you appreciate, appreciates”? This means when you show appreciation toward someone, they grow in value. People are more likely to go above and beyond and show up as the best version of themselves when they feel appreciated for the work they’re doing. We recommend asking your au pair to take The Motivating by Appreciation Assessment to learn the best way to show appreciation toward them.
- Share your culture! It can be easy to forget that your au pair is not from the U.S., especially if they’ve integrated so easily with your family. Don’t forget that holidays, sporting events, and even what’s for dinner may be the first time your au pair is experiencing these things. We recommend taking the time to explain things to them, being open to answering their questions, and embracing the role you play in being such a big influence in your au pair’s cultural exchange experience.
- Don’t forget about you! Self-care often falls to the bottom of the priority list for parents because life can get pretty busy when you’re juggling so many things. With the advantages of schedule flexibility you have in hosting an au pair, take advantage of some time for you. We recommend scheduling in a weekly time slot where you can do something that brings you joy.
- Be grateful! Hosting an au pair is truly a life changing experience and can positively impact your family in some incredible ways. We recommend keeping a gratitude journal noting all the things you’re grateful for in your au pair. The whole family can participate! This can also make a thoughtful parting gift for your au pair when they’re ready to head home.
Whether you’re currently hosting or ready to get started, we can’t wait to support you along the way!