There’s a lot to do when getting ready to welcome your au pair, and preparing your au pair’s bedroom is essential for making them feel at home.
When putting together your au pair’s room, it’s important to put yourself in their shoes. Your au pair has moved to a new country, to live with a family that they haven’t met before. Not to mention, they’ll be taking care of your high energy little ones all day!
Your au pair’s room is their sanctuary so we created this checklist that you can use to make it just right.
Make sure you have these things in your au pair’s room by the time they arrive.
- Bed with linens
- Purchase a second set of sheets and another pillow with your au pair in the first week to capture their taste.
- Au Pair Handbook
- If your family has an au pair handbook, print it and leave it in the room
- Bedside Lamp
- Bedside Table
- Trash Bin
- Wifi Password
- Window Dressings
- Full-Length Mirror
The Extra Touches
Depending on your budget, consider adding these touches to make your au pair feel extra special. Little gestures like this go a very long way.
- Wall Map of the USA
- Your au pair will love dreaming about their next adventure.
- Unique American Snacks
- Customizable Decor
- Empty frames are fine or you can prepare some artwork for your au pair, like a poster from their favorite movie or a printed photo from their social media.
- Welcome Card From Your Kids
- Go with travel sized ones since you won’t be sure of your au pair’s preferences.
- Hair Dryer
- Bathrobe and Slippers
- Perfect for cold climates that your au pair may not be used to.
- T-shirt from your town or state
Have a family brainstorm to see what other special things you can do to welcome your au pair home!